Friday, June 5, 2009

The CABC team week.

I went to the clinic, got some blood tests, and they gave me some more antibiotics. The next morning I felt good enough so we took the 5 hour bus to Vilcas Huaman. The seats were small and had little leg room, but we survived, and the moutain scenary was beautiful.

We met up with Michael and the gang in Vilcas, played volleyball and basketball with kids at the highschool, and had a Bible Study at 5 in Virginia´s House. (The kids can play volleyball really well.)

Virginia is one of the few believers in Vilcas Huaman. She graciously opens her house every night at 5 for Bible study. She is a somewhat shy woman, but is hungry for the word of God. She has 2 sons: Ronaldo 13, and Luis 6, and 3 daughters: Maria 6, and 2 more that are 2-3 years old.

We are not certain if Ronaldo is a believer, but he is sometimes able to come to the Bible Study.

A friend of Ronaldo is Henry. Henry is about 15 years old and has come to all 3 of the Bible studies so far. He seems very interested in learning the Bible, and always has many questions. (I just hope that he won´t have questions that will stump me).

The first Bible study Michael basically gave a gospel presentation and there were about 8 people their besides us, which was a big crowd. Michael didn´t feel that there weren´t any people there who were really convicted of their need for Christ and so he didn´t want to lead the people in a false prayer of salvation. Michael explained to me that in the past they have had "80 professions" of faith but very few have produced any fruit. We hope to find people who really understand what the Gospel is and are willing to surrender their lives to God. These people are the church.

I had a great time hanging out with the CABC team. They were really great hanging out with the kids. Crowds gathered around Ian as he drew a pictures, and the chicas flocked to our girls to play games. Through the translators they were also able to take opportunities to share the gospel through the evangecube. I am sad to see them leave. (especially the leadership of Michael).

I realized yesterday sometimes how little faith I have. In the morning I was sitting in the sunny plaza reading from the book of Acts, and some men sat on the bench with me. They wanted me to read some to them. So I began reading from Acts 2 about Pentecost. We read for a while and then another man came and I began sharing the gospel with him. After they left, I thought to myself, why didn´t I read the story of Nicodemus or something with more of the gospel in it?

Later Ronaldo showed us some ruins and took us to a soccer game. We came back early to teach some girls in the plaza, but they never showed up. But apparently one of the men who had been listening to me read and share the gospel with the other man had been waiting in the plaza for us. Ephraim said that he had accepted Christ. I am a big skeptic and so we began talking about the gospel. He understood his sin and his need for Jesus to forgive it. I asked him if he had repented of his sins and believed that only through Jesus´s death that we could be saved, and he said yes. He asked for a Bible because he said that there is not a Bible in his house. I wrote some passages about salvation in the front of a new testament and underlined them in the text. He lives in a nearby village and comes to Vilcas Huaman on Thursday and Sunday. He said he will be coming to the Bible Study at Virginia´s, and wants to learn more so that he might be able to preach.

Pray for Ephraim that he truly understands the Gospel and will be hungry and read the Bible that we gave him.

I no longer have stomach and intestinal problems, but I have a sinus infection. (I think this is what showed up on the tests at the doctor). I am still draining fluid and am starting the coughing phase. Pray that this does not hinder our ministry.

We´ve only been in Peru 4 days, and God is already doing great things. Pray that we will not limit God to what He can do.

3 comments:

  1. Mark,

    Sounds like you are really being stretched already. I am glad to hear you are getting better. I will pray that through these experiences, you will grow in discerning the people's hearts so that you can speak into their lives and their desires with the Word. Yet do not put too much stock into figuring out what the right thing to say is. Anyway, I love you man, and I am glad to hear about your experiences thus far.

    I will be leaving Wichita in a little over a week. Things at our new home are well. My lady is doing well in her new location. I miss you and I am excited about seeing you again in August, but until then lets keep living day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark-
    Praying God would be glorified and Christ would be seen to be the great and glorious Savior that He is through your willingness to be used by Him.
    He Alone is Worthy,
    Pastor Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,
    We are very happy to hear you are feeling much better after being so sick. Remember- don't eat the popsicles.
    God will use whatever you share with the people there as you allow Him to lead you. Don't worry about what you might have been able to say. Just continue to share whatever God puts on your heart. Keep planting the seed and let God grow the faith of the individuals.
    We miss your wit and humor around the dinner table but are waiting even more for all the testimony that you will be sharing with us when you return.
    Love - Dad

    ReplyDelete